Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yes Man

OKAY!
A new Jim Carrey flick. This excited me alot when I heard about it, as I've idolised Jim Carrey since I was a little kid. Recently I've realised he often over-acts, but I guess that's just his style. He is still an amazing actor (especially in the drama movies e.g. The Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, the Number 23).
In this film he stars as a man named Carl, who never does anything with his friends and stays inside his apartment for most of his time even though his friends are constantly trying to get him out to have fun. His life is eventually changed when a man visits him in his work and tells him about a ceminar hosted by a man who promotes the use of the word "YES". After Carl realises that he is becoming a very lonely person he goes to this ceminar, and ends up having to say yes to anything that is asked of him.
At this point I was strongly reminded of Liar Liar, but I let that slide because the dialogue was so witty and the characters were so likeable. His boss Norman (played by NZ actor from the series "Flight of the Conchords" Rhys Darby) is pretty much a typical nerd-douche type character, who in spite of his obvious socially rejected character is always jolly and quite over the top with everything he does. He provides many a laugh thoughout the movie, particularly when he is so amazed that somebody called him "Norm" ("could that be my nickname? CAR? That could be your nickname Carl!").
Another main character is the love interest that finds it's way into Carl's life, played by Zooey Deschanel. She is an out-there, strange and spontaneous character, who is the complete opposite of how Carl was before he turned his life around. She is introduced as a wierd scooter riding plastic bag wearing stranger. She drives the plot further and into more witty humour as the movie goes on.

Overall, I give this movie a 7/10 (and I mark quite conservatively). This is a great comedy with good morale fibre and is a great choice if you like Jim Carrey's crazy antics in his films.

No comments: