Thursday, January 22, 2009

What happened to our film industry?

This post is for anybody who remembers those great movies from the Tremors series (excluding that prequel...that wasn't that great).
Recently I was christmas shopping and I saw one of my favourite childhood films in the bargain bin of JB Hifi. Tremors 1, 2, and 3. FOR 20 BUCKS!
I couldn't believe it, as the Star Wars prequels still sell in the pack of 3 for about 60-80 bucks these days. Tremors was a classic and I can't believe it has been forgotten so easily by the world. While I loved buying them for such a good price I was dissappointed seeing a pre-owned dvd version of the godfather (the don's edition) for $90. While I'm not complaining and the godfather was a fucking awesome film, we're forgetting that all of the recent classics are disappearing into the bargain bins and trash cans. The last truly epic amazing film I saw was the Dark Knight. The majority of new films just follow the same formula and lack all of the X factor that only seemed to exist before the turn of the century. The X-files was a classic example. When I saw that I thought it was going to be another great film along Spiderman or Batman begins, bringing back all the mysterious goodness of the old X-files, but no. It was crap to be completely honest about my opinion.
Anyways, let's hope the recession doesn't stop any memorable films from being made in the future. I for one am very excited about the release of the new Transformers film. Hopefully it will be just as good as the first one, and that Shia Labeouf will say "stop" or "no" instead of saying "nononononononono" really fast like he seems to do in every movie I've seen him in so far. I'm pondering whether the director tells him to do something that feels natural or if he tells him to say no many times... but his films are by different directors so I'm beginning to think he might end up being another Hugh Grant, who always seems to be the same character in every film he stars in. Mr. Labeouf may be a good actor, but he always seems to be the bumbling anti-lady's man with an exception of Indiana Jones, but then again in that film there are no good looking girls for him to chase. Anyway, I hope people enjoyed or were entertained by this tengental rant about films and actors.

No comments: